“Every child deserves a champion, an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection, and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be. ”
Ambler Primary School and Children’s Centre, like all schools in Islington, is committed to meeting the needs of all children including those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
At Ambler we welcome children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and make every effort to support them. All our classes are fully inclusive and we have high expectations for all our children, including those with SEND.
Our expectation is that children and young people with SEND will receive an education that enables them to make progress so that they:
- achieve their best;
- become confident individuals living fulfilling lives;
- make a successful transition into adulthood, whether into employment, further or higher education or training.
At Ambler, every teacher is a teacher of SEND. Our provision is enhanced by the collaboration of teachers, senior leaders, the SENCo, support staff, external agencies, parents and, most importantly, the children.
Pupils with SEND are:
- included in all aspects of the school day;
- provided with high-quality teaching adapted to meet their needs;
- shown respect and have their views acknowledged.
Pupils with SEND may:
- have specific 1:1 or group support to support them accessing different areas of the curriculum;
- have interventions outside of the classroom to provided targeted support for specific areas of needs;
- receive additional support from external specialist such as a Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist, Occupational Therapist, Social, CAMHS and specialist provision outreach services.
Ambler’s SEND Policy and SEND Information Report outline in further detail the implementation of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) provision at Ambler Primary School and Children's Centre.
As a result of the whole-school approach to creating an inclusive, nurturing and stimulating learning environment and curriculum, children at Ambler Primary School will:
- Feel safe, secure and cared for
- Show confidence and resilience in the classroom
- Demonstrate high levels of engagement in activities
- Make progress from their individual starting points
- Work collaboratively with their peers on a shared task
- Develop independence and skills to support them throughout their lives.